A look back at the Chelmsford housing market over the last decade
With all of us completing the Census, a couple of weeks ago, it made me realise profoundly that mine and my family’s life, which from our own point of view seems unique and delightful, makes us all into a series of statistics for the Census gatherers to pore over. To digest and regurgitate facts, figures and trends for those who are interested in the ever-changing social circumstances of these islands.
However, the information from the Census is vital to improving our lives – Governments can plan the future with the information it provides and we in turn can wonder about the lives of our past generations with the information provided therein historically if we so wish.
Whilst the information from this Census won’t be published until March 2023, let us have a look at what has been happening in the Chelmsford property market since the last time we completed the Census in 2011.
Just to remind you, 2011 saw the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, Mr Cameron was the PM, there was the last flight of the Space Shuttle and Game of Thrones premiered.
Whilst in the Chelmsford property market ….
- The average price paid for a Chelmsford detached home in the last 12 months has been £535,800. The average value of a Chelmsford detached home has risen by 42.5% in the last 10 years or £171,300
- The average price paid for a Chelmsford semi-detached home in the last 12 months has been £377,200. The average value of a Chelmsford semi-detached home has risen by 48.1% in the last 10 years or £146,100
- The average price paid for a Chelmsford town house/terraced home in the last 12 months has been £318,800. The average value of a Chelmsford town house/terraced home has risen by 43.3% in the last 10 years or £124,200
- The average price paid for a Chelmsford apartment/flat in the last 12 months has been £208,000. The average value of a Chelmsford apartment/flat has risen by 41.9% in the last 10 years or £72,700
New properties built in Chelmsford…
Irrespective of any dip in Chelmsford house prices or transactions when the Stamp Duty Holiday ends in the autumn, this is a trend that looks set to continue, with no sign that supply of new homes is anywhere near to keeping pace with demand for households.
There have only been 2,956 new properties built in Chelmsford in the last 10 years, that’s just over 24 a month. That means the population in Chelmsford has risen by 1.81 people for every new home built over that decade.
Nationally, the country has only built just over 180k homes a year over the last decade 120k less than the national target of 300k. In the meantime, the population has grown by more than 4 million.
When looking locally at the size of new build property in Chelmsford, the average property is just over 900 sq. ft., which is 27% larger than a decade ago.
Rents in Chelmsford…
Whether you are a winner or loser in terms of rental values depends on whether you are a Chelmsford landlord or a Chelmsford tenant.
The average rent for a property in Chelmsford currently stands at £1,061 per month, whilst a decade ago, it was £884 per month
This means private rents have increased by £1.47 a month for the past ten years. Interesting, when compared to the national average of 98p a month whilst in London, rents have grown by £4.64 a month.
The next 10 years of the Chelmsford Property Market…
The next ten years will be just as fascinating. To try and predict would be a fool’s game.
For example, who would have believed what the Chelmsford property market has done in the last 12 months since the start of Lockdown 1.0. The number of transactions (i.e., people moving) in turn with UK house prices having risen so much in the last year … all during a worldwide pandemic and at a time of such mayhem and havoc in the UK and world economy, is nothing short of remarkable … the question is – is it sustainable?
Read these articles in the coming months and years and I will share with you what is happening to the value of your Chelmsford property, be you a Chelmsford homeowner or Chelmsford landlord.
- How to wow buyers with your Chelmsford home’s kerb appeal - 17th April 2021
- The Danger Of Over Valuing In The Chelmsford Market - 16th April 2021
- Over 1 in 3 Chelmsford Properties Being Sold with No Chain - 10th April 2021
- Why now, more than ever, it is essential to choose the right estate agent to sell your home in Chelmsford - 9th April 2021
- Top Tips to make moving in together in Chelmsford a success - 3rd April 2021
- Chelmsford Property Market: 2011-2021 - 1st April 2021
- The ‘search for space’ is driving buyers in Chelmsford - 26th March 2021
- Chelmsford Property Market improved by 34.9% over pre-pandemic levels - 24th March 2021
- How to manage the stress of moving home in Chelmsford. - 20th March 2021
- Chelmsford First-Time Buyers Can Now Buy Using 5% Deposit Mortgages - 17th March 2021