How best to increase the value of your Chelmsford home
When it comes to selling your home, a significant amount of your home’s resale value will depend on what’s happened to the Chelmsford market as a whole. Here average sales values have risen by 42.3 per cent over the last ten years. However, there are several tactical decisions you can make to push up the final price.
Creating an extra bedroom, perhaps with a loft conversion, offers one of the best possible returns. Although initial costs are not inconsiderable, the relationship between size and price is fairly linear, so if you can expand the size of your home by 10 per cent, that could create an extra £34,000 of value to the average seller in Chelmsford.
Bedrooms aside, the square footage of your home is one of the first things buyers look at, so you should create more of it if you can. In Chelmsford average prices sit at £343,000, so each five per cent size gain could translate into at least the same capital gain proportionally.
Kerb appeal is often overlooked by sellers when they put their house on the market, yet it is one of the most important ways both to add value to your home and to make it stand out to a first-time viewer. Kitchens also come under buyers’ microscopes, and sometimes a little investment in them goes a long way indeed.
Buy-to-let landlords will want to make sure their rental property is in the best condition to achieve maximum yields. Furnished properties can often rent faster than those that are unfurnished (but do check with us as it depends on the type and location). It is also a good idea to update the interior and exterior of your property every three years by painting the walls, cleaning the outside space and replacing furniture to stop it looking dated. A fresher looking property will increase its chances of renting more quickly and nullifying potential long void periods.
Weighing up the potential cost of any home refurbishments is essential because it has to be a profitable exercise so it’s a good time to seek advice. If you want to find out more about how much value you can add to your home, and what Chelmsford buyers are looking for, please pop into our office and have a chat with us. We are always happy to help.
Read the full article by clicking the following link: CPU May 18
- Buyers, are you making these mistakes searching for a home? - 18th July 2019
- Is your rental home protected in Chelmsford this summer? - 18th July 2019
- Only 40.2% of Chelmsford Households are Eco-friendly - 10th July 2019
- 5 ways to turn chaos into calm, selling your home with children - 9th July 2019
- We have been selected to join the Federation of Independent Estate Agents - 9th July 2019
- 7 essential ways to keep your property compliant - 8th July 2019
- The Chelmsford Monopoly Board - 3rd July 2019
- 12.6% of all Properties Sold in Chelmsford are New Builds - 26th June 2019
- Chelmsford Council House Waiting List Drops by 28.4% since 2011 - 17th June 2019
- Do we have the right sort of Chelmsford homes for the 21st Century - 14th June 2019