How best to increase the value of your Chelmsford home
When it comes to selling your home, a significant amount of your home’s resale value will depend on what’s happened to the Chelmsford market as a whole. Here average sales values have risen by 42.3 per cent over the last ten years. However, there are several tactical decisions you can make to push up the final price.
Creating an extra bedroom, perhaps with a loft conversion, offers one of the best possible returns. Although initial costs are not inconsiderable, the relationship between size and price is fairly linear, so if you can expand the size of your home by 10 per cent, that could create an extra £34,000 of value to the average seller in Chelmsford.
Bedrooms aside, the square footage of your home is one of the first things buyers look at, so you should create more of it if you can. In Chelmsford average prices sit at £343,000, so each five per cent size gain could translate into at least the same capital gain proportionally.
Kerb appeal is often overlooked by sellers when they put their house on the market, yet it is one of the most important ways both to add value to your home and to make it stand out to a first-time viewer. Kitchens also come under buyers’ microscopes, and sometimes a little investment in them goes a long way indeed.
Buy-to-let landlords will want to make sure their rental property is in the best condition to achieve maximum yields. Furnished properties can often rent faster than those that are unfurnished (but do check with us as it depends on the type and location). It is also a good idea to update the interior and exterior of your property every three years by painting the walls, cleaning the outside space and replacing furniture to stop it looking dated. A fresher looking property will increase its chances of renting more quickly and nullifying potential long void periods.
Weighing up the potential cost of any home refurbishments is essential because it has to be a profitable exercise so it’s a good time to seek advice. If you want to find out more about how much value you can add to your home, and what Chelmsford buyers are looking for, please pop into our office and have a chat with us. We are always happy to help.
Read the full article by clicking the following link: CPU May 18
- How to wow buyers with your Chelmsford home’s kerb appeal - 17th April 2021
- The Danger Of Over Valuing In The Chelmsford Market - 16th April 2021
- Over 1 in 3 Chelmsford Properties Being Sold with No Chain - 10th April 2021
- Why now, more than ever, it is essential to choose the right estate agent to sell your home in Chelmsford - 9th April 2021
- Top Tips to make moving in together in Chelmsford a success - 3rd April 2021
- Chelmsford Property Market: 2011-2021 - 1st April 2021
- The ‘search for space’ is driving buyers in Chelmsford - 26th March 2021
- Chelmsford Property Market improved by 34.9% over pre-pandemic levels - 24th March 2021
- How to manage the stress of moving home in Chelmsford. - 20th March 2021
- Chelmsford First-Time Buyers Can Now Buy Using 5% Deposit Mortgages - 17th March 2021