How often do people move property in the local area?
More than six-million people move home every year according to national census figures. These numbers reveal we are changing homes at a faster rate than ever before with people in the southern half of the country the most frequent movers. Conversely, those living in the North East, North West and Wales move home less frequently than anyone else in the UK.
The average lifespan of a British person is now 81.5 years; during this lifespan people will move home about six times. With 14 years, the South West leads the way for the shortest amount of time people live at one property while the longest amount of time people stay at their properties is in Wales where the average is 23 years.
The average amount of time someone lives in their property in Chelmsford is 17 years. This compares with 18 years in the region and 19 years nationally. We’ve calculated this by calculating turnover as a percentage of stock and estimating how long it would take for everyone to move house at least once in the area.
If people are changing their home more often, vendors will benefit from a busier market with more demand. It was once the case that only younger people would be more likely to move around, especially live-in couples, but now we are seeing a trend where people of all ages are changing their home at a more frequent rate.
The rental market moves at a much faster rate than the sales market due to 12-month contracts with a six-month break affording more flexibility. It’s also important to factor in the cheaper prices for rental properties. We are however seeing more people stay in accommodation for longer, although it’s nowhere near the length of owner-occupancy.
Whether it is because people have more money, have benefited from the rise in house prices, or prefer a change of scenery, the rate at which people are moving homes is rising. If you would like to know more about the property market in Chelmsford, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. We look forward to hearing from you.
Download the full report by clicking here: How often do people in chelmsford move home
- 8.7% of Chelmsford Before Covid-19 – Wonder How Many More Do Now? - 29th April 2020
- New Electrical Safety Regulations could cost each Chelmsford Landlord £350+ in the next 13 months - 20th April 2020
- Virtual ways to keep all your family entertained in Chelmsford - 20th April 2020
- How the lockdown is the ideal time to get your property ready for sale in Chelmsford - 20th April 2020
- What Will Be the Effect of Covid-19 on the Chelmsford Property Market? - 8th April 2020
- Ways to keep your mental health in check whilst in lockdown in Chelmsford - 3rd April 2020
- The Rights, Obligations & Responsibilities of the 2,468 Chelmsford Landlords & 6,095 Tenants During the Virus Outbreak - 1st April 2020
- How we are adapting our estate agency Chelmsford to stay open - 1st April 2020
- How to survive if you must work from home - 25th March 2020
- Landlords, are you ready for the changes that this year will bring in Chelmsford? - 2nd March 2020