How often do people move property in the local area?
More than six-million people move home every year according to national census figures. These numbers reveal we are changing homes at a faster rate than ever before with people in the southern half of the country the most frequent movers. Conversely, those living in the North East, North West and Wales move home less frequently than anyone else in the UK.
The average lifespan of a British person is now 81.5 years; during this lifespan people will move home about six times. With 14 years, the South West leads the way for the shortest amount of time people live at one property while the longest amount of time people stay at their properties is in Wales where the average is 23 years.
The average amount of time someone lives in their property in Chelmsford is 17 years. This compares with 18 years in the region and 19 years nationally. We’ve calculated this by calculating turnover as a percentage of stock and estimating how long it would take for everyone to move house at least once in the area.
If people are changing their home more often, vendors will benefit from a busier market with more demand. It was once the case that only younger people would be more likely to move around, especially live-in couples, but now we are seeing a trend where people of all ages are changing their home at a more frequent rate.
The rental market moves at a much faster rate than the sales market due to 12-month contracts with a six-month break affording more flexibility. It’s also important to factor in the cheaper prices for rental properties. We are however seeing more people stay in accommodation for longer, although it’s nowhere near the length of owner-occupancy.
Whether it is because people have more money, have benefited from the rise in house prices, or prefer a change of scenery, the rate at which people are moving homes is rising. If you would like to know more about the property market in Chelmsford, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. We look forward to hearing from you.
Download the full report by clicking here: How often do people in chelmsford move home
- Why you should present your Chelmsford rental property as a home - 11th October 2019
- Help! My Chelmsford home isn’t selling - 24th September 2019
- How to buy a home without regrets - 24th September 2019
- Is Chelmsford Too Densely Populated? - 24th September 2019
- Chelmsford Property Market Update Summer 2019 - 19th August 2019
- Chelmsford Homeowners can now build larger extensions without planning permission. - 19th August 2019
- Which Street in Chelmsford (CM3) has seen the most homeowners moving in the last 3 years? - 19th August 2019
- How to find your perfect rental property in Chelmsford - 24th July 2019
- The Affordability of Buying Property in Chelmsford - 24th July 2019
- Buyers, are you making these mistakes searching for a home? - 18th July 2019